The McGill Library, also know as the Kinnear Library, is currently owned by the White Pine County Commissioners and is located in McGill, Nevada. The site is 0.67 acres and the property is comprised of a single-story building that was constructed in 1940. The building is approximately 2,200 square feet in size, with exterior walls constructed of brick.
The Library was owned by Kennecott Mining Company until 1977 when they gifted it to White Pine County to be utilized by the residents of McGill. Once gifted, the library was used for Town Hall meetings, EMT and Volunteer Fire Department meetings and training, and American Legion meetings. Currently, the building is vacated and in need of repair. There are no known uses of the site that would indicate potential disposal of hazardous substances, pollutants, or contaminants.
The building has been proposed for new renovations that would update the structure so that it could be efficient for daily use as a library, for cultural activities, and for use as a Town Hall meeting place. However, due to the age of the structure, there is potential for asbestos containing building materials and lead-based paint to have been used within the structure prior to White Pine County receiving it as a gift. In addition, there is potential for petroleum contamination on the property if a heating oil tank and boiler were utilized in the past.